Saturday, November 1, 2008

Rest in Peace Shakir Stewart

ATLien posted a blog today and when I saw the update on Twitter, it broke my heart. Shakir Stewart apparently committed suicide today with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He was supposedly found in his Atlanta home.


Shakir was Executive VP at Def Jam and was very instrumental in signing alot of acts that are very successful at the label including Rick Ross, Jeezy, & Ciara among others. Details are very sketchy at this time but his death has been confirmed and right now it is being called a suicide. Folks are speculating that Stewart may have been under immense pressure and stress lately but an exact reason has not been officially released so this is just people's own personal speculation.


I never met Shakir personally but I remember being on set of a Young Jeezy video and Shakir's swag and presence just couldn't be ignored. If I remember correctly, he was smoking a big cigar and just having a really good time. (Anyone who knows me knows I HATE smoke so I was looking around like WHO THE "F" IS SMOKING A CIGAR IN HERE!!!!! Then I saw who it was and was just like Oh, Ok!!!) I noticed how everyone seemed to be drawn to him and he just sat back in the chair and watched the shoot in progress. You may remember seeing Shakir in a few of Jeezy's videos. The one that always comes to mind for me is this one right here (see the cigar I was talking about!!! LOL):




Rest in Peace, Shakir. It's so unfortunate. I texted one of my homegirls and told her about his passing and she replied back "isn't that the one you thought was cute?"........ Life is so crazy. While I have been admiring Shakir's hustle, drive, and just how handsome he truly was, he may have been going through things that were just too much for him to handle.......... He will truly be missed



Def Jam statement Via Vibe: “LA Reid and all of us at Island Def Jam Music Group are deeply saddened by the passing of our dear friend and colleague Shakir Stewart,” Def Jam said in a statement released to VIBE today. “Shakir was an amazing man, in every sense of the word. A truly incredible friend and father who was an inspiration to not only our artists and employees, but to his family and the many people who had the privilege of counting him as a friend. Our hearts and prayers go out to his family at this very difficult time.”

2 Stylish Folk With Something To Say:

Aunt Jackie said...

I've known Shakir since he was a kid, he was always a beautiful person. The last time I saw him was in Vegas for Jay Z's show and Shakir was love as always.

I just called his family and they are all hurting...this is a loss to the music community and the world.

Anonymous said...

Yo, this Jeezy peeps. this is a shock to me. I owed him 40Gees and I Finally got half of it to pay him back and he told me not to worry bout' it. I kept calling him to pay him back and he wouldnt answer my calls. Dude sounded zoned out and shit. Im going to give the money to his fiance and his seed.
RIP my nigga

 
template by suckmylolly.com