Wednesday, November 5, 2008

An Open Letter To My Grandma......


Dear Grandma,

Today is a very special day for the whole country, the whole world, but more importantly for you. You were born to the grandchildren of former slaves. You stopped going to school in the 5th grade to help your mother (my great grandmother) work cleaning the homes and scrubbing toilets of rich white families so that you could help put food on the table during the aftermath of the Great Depression. Even as an adult when you gave birth to my mother and aunts, you continued to work for these rich white families so that your children could have the opportunities that you didn't have.

Grandma, you marched when you were too tired to stand. You chanted when you didn't even know if your voice was being heard. You saw JFK and MLK get assassinated. You watched your friends get sprayed with hoses, bitten by dogs, beat by police. You saw crosses get burned and dealt with the racism in the deep south of Tennessee but you never gave up hope that one day a change would come.

Last night, your dream was answered. Your 86 years of struggle, strive and perseverance through the hills and the valleys weren't in vain. You watched as black, white, latin, asian and all races, genders, and sexual orientations came together to vote and let you live to see a black man becoming President of the United States. You will see a black man live in the house built by former slaves- The White House.

When I cast my ballot yesterday, I knew I was voting for a change. But it wasn't until I spoke to you this morning that I realized truly the impact that my vote has for you and the many others like you that never thought they would live to see this day. So, today as I walk taller, dream bigger, and see beyond what I thought my limits were, I think of you and simply say THANK YOU. TODAY IS YOUR DAY!!!

2 Stylish Folk With Something To Say:

Kisha said...

nice letter.

Beautifully.Conjured.Up said...

Wow, that brought me to tears.

 
template by suckmylolly.com