Friday, September 28, 2007

Don't TWEEZE Me!!!!!!!!!


Whoever said "It hurts to be beautiful" ain’t NEVER lied!!!!!!! There are a few focal points on the face of a woman- the teeth, the lips, the cheekbones, the eyes, and the eyebrows. You get your teeth whitened, pucker your lips to add the ‘glossiest’ gloss, highlight the cheekbones with some rouge blush, throw some mascara on those lashes to accentuate the eyes, and then…………… BOOM- it all explodes at the eyebrows. Overly bushy and extra thin brows are seriously out-dated. Just like a the mustache, or lack there-of, shapes and defines a man’s face, a woman’s brow affects the look of the eye and helps to define the face. I have seen my fair share of beautiful brows as well as those brows that need a little more attention and, while being overly critical of the less fortunate, I decided that it was time for me to give my own eyebrows a much needed make-over.

Though it was almost damn near impossible, I suffered through the past 2 months allowing my brows to grow out and regain their natural shape. I found myself looking a lot like Ashanti when she first hit the urban scene- A HOT EXTRA THICK UNIBROW MESS!!!!!! Why would I suffer in eyebrow hell you ask? I put myself through this torture in order to experience what I heard was the absolute BEST way to achieve the perfect brow!!!!!!!

From thick to thin to penciled-in, women’s brows come in all types of shapes, sizes, and colors. Curved, angled, arched, round and flat- no matter what your preferred shape we are going to examine the 3 most popular methods to achieve the most beautiful brow so that you can choose what’s right for you. We will also disclose the method I just tried and absolutely fell in love with.

*Waxing- Eyebrow waxing is probably the most popular of the 3 techniques we are examining. In this method, a thin layer of heated wax is applied in the direction of hair growth. A strip is then applied on the wax and then the strip is pulled with force against the hair growth until the desired brow is achieved. (estimated time- 5 minutes)

*Threading- Threading is an ancient Asian technique that has been practiced for centuries. In this method, the skin above and below the eyebrow is stretched by the client to make hair removal easier for the practitioner. The practitioner holds one end of the cotton thread in their mouth and forms a loop with the thread. The thread is then twisted and pulled, acting as a lasso as it pulls the hair directly from the root. (estimated time- 15 minutes)

*Tweezing- With this method, as with the others, the client lays back in a chair. The practitioner uses an eyebrow shaping pencil to draw the desired shape. The brows are brushed and a towel moistened in hot water is placed over the brow for 5 minutes to open the pores. Tweezers are then used to pluck each individual eyebrow hair strand by strand. (estimated time varies- approx 20-30 minutes)

So, which method did I choose to try?!?!? THREADING!!!!!!! Let me tell you the ish hurt like HELL!!!!!!!! I have a total of 6 tattoos and 14 piercing and the pain I felt while getting those was minimal to getting my brows threaded. I have also experienced multiple bikini waxes and I still didn’t tear up as much as I did while getting threaded!!!! In the end, the pain was definitely well worth it. My brows look phenomenal- natural and with make-up!!!! I LOVE my new brows and would recommend threading to anyone who has a high tolerance for pain or an even higher tolerance for doing whatever it takes to be beautiful. Threading is also great for those with sensitive skin who are unable to get their brows waxed. If you would like to try this method, check out the local Indian owned/operated salons in your area. Even though prices for all 3 methods are very reasonable and vary by region and practitioner, I paid a mere $5 for my priceless celebrity-looking brows and I will be suffering through the pain again in 4 weeks!!!!!!

0 Stylish Folk With Something To Say:

 
template by suckmylolly.com